Startups in a weekend.
Friends for life.
Startups in a weekend.
What is #SheHacks?
#SheHacks is the longest-running hackathon series in the world for women and non-binary folk!
You will make new friends and build a startup together in a weekend. You will meet people who may become your cofounders. You will be in a room full of people with the right skills to build a company, as we bring together some of the best hackers, hustlers and hipsters from across Victoria.
You don’t have to be technical, but you do have to want to be awesome.
I’m keen, but is it for me?
Do you want to learn how to build a great business? Do you like making new friends? Are cupcakes and really good tea your idea of a good time? #SheHacks was created especially for you.
Forget crunch culture: at #SheHacks you’ll eat awesome food, spend quality time getting to know other people doing amazing things with technology, and work together to bring something new to life. If you’re a Victorian who identifies as a woman/non-binary and are over 18, you’re invited to apply!
Oh cool! How do I get started?
Complete you application on Typeform here. We will then register you in our preparation course online so you can learn all about #SheHacks before you arrive at your event.
So work out whether you’re a hipster (designer), hacker (developer) or a hustler (marketer / communications / sales) and sign up for #SheHacks!
Girl Geek Academy’s flagship program, #SheHacks, is launching across Victoria in 2020 from February to April. #SheHacks is the longest-running hackathon series for women and non-binary folk in the world, supporting teams to partner on, develop and build their own startup over the course of a fun-filled weekend.
The first of the workshops is happening in Ballarat on 28 February -1 March, followed by Traralgon in Gippsland on 13-15 March and rounding up in Melbourne on 3-5 April. #SheHacks is an 18+ event for women/NB of all skillsets, backgrounds and interests who want to build a startup.
#SheHacks participants spend a weekend with experts, meeting potential co-founders and building out their minimum viable product (MVP). The series is followed by an opportunity to showcase the MVPs at Girl Geek Academy’s Marketplace Day in Melbourne on April 5, and opt-in to a 12 week incubator from April – June.
It all begins with the first step. Get started with forming your very own startup team, gain hands-on experience and learn how to be a founder.
We’re looking for people who have some technical skills that can be used to create a startup. Whether you’re an industry veteran or just tinker in your spare time, we’d love to have you join us.
Our teams will be divided into three core roles:
- Hacker – the technical legends who get that coding done
- Hipster – designers/artists who help make your startup look & feel good
- Hustler – the all-important producer role to keep everyone on track and bring the project together
We then create teams based on our matching process to ensure you all get the best opportunities to match with potential cofounders.
Morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinners included, and we can meet your childcare needs. Register now so you don’t miss out!
What ticket should I sign up for?
So how will this work?
- First things first – get your application in! The first #SheHacks begins in Ballarat on February 28.
- You will immediately be enrolled into our #SheHacks bootcamp online course. This will be compulsory reading (it’s actually very fun!)as we need to ensure all participants have the same basic info about #SheHacks.
- Successful applications will be notified before February 28.
- You then come along to a #SheHacks event in Ballarat, Gippsland or Melbourne! Once you are accepted into the program, you will be eligible to attend one of the 3 #SheHacks events. You will meet potential cofounders and bond together while building technology.
- You will be invited to showcase your startup at our marketplace event in Melbourne on April 5.
- You will then be invited to the #SheHacks Incubator, a 12 week incubator program that will happen from April to June.
Let’s make friends and build startups!
#SheHacks is more than your average hackathon. We find our cofounders. We build our MVP. We’re hungry, confident and ready to grow.
#SheHacks is followed by a 12 week incubator from April to June 2020.
Are you a founder in Victoria? You are invited to join us for the #SheHacks Incubator. We will be giving you the skills required to take your MVP further and build your startup.
And we can’t hardly wait!
#SheHacks Incubator includes a range of targeted workshops:
- Lean startup primer.
- Customer acquisition and metrics for startups.
- HR basics for startup teams, how to establish culture, build a cohesive team.
- Brand, marketing and PR basics for startups.
- Finance basics for Startups.
- Legal basics for Startups.
- Pitching workshop and pitch feedback.
- Raising money from investors, what investors expect and how to find the right one.
Girl Geek Academy is providing this program, valued at $3500 per person, fully subsidised to founders in Victoria.
We value inclusivity
Let’s be real – we’ve all been to events where the organisers haven’t thought about some of the things our community needs in order to feel welcome. We don’t want anyone to feel excluded or that they should miss out on the fun!
We work hard to ensure that our programs are accessible to as many people as possible, and have already committed to the following initiatives. If you would love to join us but have a need that we have not addressed, please don’t hesitate to let us know before signing up at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live CART captioning during opening and closing speeches
- Babysitting services for children 3yrs+ (let us know when you sign up!)
- Dietary needs catered to where possible
- Gender neutral bathrooms
- Lactation rooms available (let us know your requirements when you sign up)
- Pronoun pins provided for all attendees
- Write your preferred name on your name tag at each event
- Code of conduct
- Limited travel / accomodation bursaries available (let us know when you sign up)
- Free thanks to LaunchVic and the Victorian Government
SheHacks is supported by LaunchVic.
Did you know we ran the first hackathon for women in the world, right here in Australia?
In 2014 we ran the first all-women hackathon in the world. Afterwards, we wanted to find other women and non-binary folk running similar hackathons so we could be their friends.
But we looked and looked – then we realised no-one had run one before! We then thought “if no-one has done this very basic thing to support us, what about the hard stuff? Who’s working on that?” And that’s when we founded Girl Geek Academy as a company and a movement.
Keep up to date
To hear more about how we are teaching one million women to build the internet by 2025, join the Girl Geek Academy mailing list.